Vehicle Assembly & Service Technician
Location: Miami, FL, USA
Compensation: $75 000-$100 000 annually
Saildrone’s autonomous surface vehicles operate for unprecedented periods of time in the most unforgiving environments on the planet. From inside of hurricanes to the frigid waters of the Arctic, the stresses they endure are immense. The technical execution of preparing the vehicles for their mission and servicing their constituent parts must be performed with a high degree of skill and consistency. As a Vehicle Assembly & Service Technician, you will be responsible for constructing and servicing Saildrone vehicles as well as training and leading others to do the same.
You will collaborate with a variety of teams in engineering, operations, and production. You will interact with clients and lead teams, both in the shop and around the world, to execute assembly and service operations. You will help turn in-field realities into product improvements, serving as an important link between end users and the teams at Saildrone who design products.
What You’ll Do
- Lead the assembly and service workflows for Saildrone’s vehicle fleet, ensuring that drones are fully mission capable and able to maintain exceptionally high uptime.
- Travel domestically and internationally to deploy and repair Saildrone vehicles.
- Train contractors, clients, and other third-parties on how to assemble and service Saildrone vehicles.
- Provide input on how to improve in-field assembly and service procedures as well as vehicle designs.
What We’re Looking For
A top performer in this role will be highly motivated by and skilled in the following areas:
- A skilled technician that understands how to apply fundamentally sound mechanical and electrical skills in a field environment.
- Act with self-awareness and professionalism when interacting with Saildrone clients and colleagues.
- Passion for teaching and coaching others on how to perform technical procedures.
- Possess high standards for doing things the right way. Able to lead and hold others accountable for achieving that same standard.
- Ability to assess current processes and determine how they could improve to achieve increased safety, consistency, and efficiency.
- Desire to take ownership of and responsibility for the outcome of operational execution.Required Skills and Experience
Skills that are necessary to executing the core functions of this role are listed below
- Desire and ability to provide industry-defining customer service for both external customers and Saildrone colleagues. Ability to simplify technical concepts and product knowledge to teach and coach end-users on vehicle assembly and service.
- 5 or more years of experience executing operations involving the application of fundamentally sound electrical and mechanical skills while performing a technical service role in a field, shipyard, or heavy industrial environment, following service instructions/diagrams, using tools ranging from basic hand tools to heavy equipment and rigging.
- Ability to lead and work in teams, to include third-party contractors, to execute operational plans and deliver on contractual obligations.
- Maintain appropriate records and inventories. Possess organizational habits and a willingness to define, follow, and improve safety, process, and work standards.
Preferred skills and experience
Here’s a non-exhaustive list of specific skills where prior knowledge or experience would lend itself to high performance:
- Prior experience planning, leading, and performing technically complex operations in the field for a global OEM servicing the automotive, aerospace, shipyard, offshore oil and gas, heavy civil/mining, renewable energy, or telecommunications industries. .
- Prior experience in a fast-paced, start-up environment or an advanced serviceability/manufacturability of design role. Able to develop/create technical repair content to support global standardization and service documentation for safety, quality, and repeatability.
- Possess the ability to systematically isolate, diagnose, and repair issues on electro-mechanical systems in a marine environment.
- Personal or professional experience on or near water; familiar with rigging, mooring, and basic boat handling principles.
Willingness to support 75% travel, domestically and internationally. U.S. Person status and eligibility for U.S. Department of Defense security clearance is required for this role. Able to work on your feet and at heights. Able to lift and carry 50lbs.
Location: This position is fully remote working out of Miami, FL when not traveling.
- Medical, dental and vision plans for you and your dependents.
- Short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building for SF residents
- Enhanced Parental Leave Programs
- Competitive benefits including excellent medical, life insurance, 401k plan
- A reasonable estimate of the current range is $75,000-$100,000 annually.
Interested? Apply here!